DUSHANBE, July 16, 2014, Asia-Plus – The Khorog-based weekly Impulse reports that compared to last year the flow of tourists to the Gorno-Badakhshan Autonomous Region (GBAO) has declined.

Over the first six months of this year, only 170 foreign tourists have visited Gorno Badakhshan, which was 338 people fewer than in the same period last year.

Asadsho Zoolshoyev, the head of the Pamirs Eco-Cultural Tourism Association (PECTA), says the main reason for decline in tourist flow to Gorno Badakhshan is the deadly clash that occurred in Khorog, the capital of Gorno-Badakhshan in May this year.

“Our tour operators and owners of hotels have suffered big losses because tourists, who made advance hotel reservations, could not arrive because of visa problems while other tourists have given up travel to GBAO themselves,” Mr. Zoolshoyev noted.

Tour operators consider that the government must take an active part in restoration of the tourist image of the country.

“Our image has been undermined by the Khorog events and now we must take measures to restore it,” said Zoolshoyev.  “There ought to let foreign tourists and journalists travel to the region so that they could to assess themselves the situation here.  I am sure that impressions will be positive.”  

We will recall that clashes in Khorog on May 21 left three people, including a police officer, dead and at least seven people, including three police officers, injured.  The fatalities occurred during a police offensive against suspected criminals and ensuing clashes between security forces and local residents upset with the police action.