The President of the Republic of Tajikistan solemnly opened new 110 kV substations "Voznavd" and "Dashtaki Vanch" in virtual mode.

These two substations, together with a 110 kV transmission line with a length of 24 km, were built as a part of the project "Vanch-I: Improving the Quality of Life through Electricity Supply", funded by the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (RNMFA) and implemented by the Aga Khan Foundation and Pamir Energy.

During 21 years of its activity in GBAO, “Pamir Energy” has focused on the development of the regional network by building a reliable transmission line for the transmission of electricity from Khorog to Darvaz, capable of connecting to a single national network.

Thanks to the support of the Government and its development partners, “Pamir Energy” was able to achieve this ambitious goal in 2022. These two new substations, together with the 110 kV transmission line, are the most important components of the regional network, which will allow “Pamir Energy” to divert more energy from and into the national grid and further reduce energy losses.

"Energy efficiency at the municipal level is part of the strategic plan of the Government of Tajikistan to improve the reliability of electricity supply to residents of the country, including the most remote areas of Badakhshan," said Minister of Energy and Water Resources of Tajikistan Daler Juma.

According to him, with the commissioning of 110 kV substations "Voznavd" and "Dashtaki Vanch" not only significantly expanded regional networks, but also increased their reliability.

"In addition, two substations increase the potential of our country for the export of electricity," the minister added.

"I would like to thank the Government of Tajikistan and our partners and donors for their generous support, which allowed us to create a unified network and improve energy security in these geographically isolated regions where we operate," said Amrikhon Rahimov, CEO of “Pamir Energy”.


"Vanch I: Improving the quality of Life through the Electricity Supply Project" is aimed at improving the quality of life of vulnerable households in remote areas of Eastern Tajikistan by improving regional communications and electricity supply. The specific objective of the project is to improve long-term access to energy services in the GBAO of Tajikistan and the Badakhshan province of Afghanistan by connecting the existing main network to a smaller network in Vanch and Darvaz districts of Tajikistan and, eventually, to the national grid of Tajikistan. The project is funded by the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, managed by the Aga Khan Foundation of the United Kingdom (AKF UK), and “Pamir Energy” is engaged in co-financing and implementation. The project started in January 2020 and has been successfully completed.


About the Royal Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs: The main task of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs is to protect and promote Norway's interests at the international level. The Sustainable Development Goals and the 2030 Agenda form the basis of the Norwegian Government's development policy. All countries have a shared responsibility to contribute to building a peaceful and fair world in which extreme poverty is a thing of the past. Norway's development assistance is aimed at combining climate and development policies, giving priority to renewable energy sources, combating hunger and ensuring food security, combating inequality, strengthening women's rights to dispose of their bodies, providing humanitarian assistance and combating infectious diseases.


“Pamir Energy” Company: Established in 2002 as part of a public-private partnership (PPP) between the Government of the Republic of Tajikistan and “Pamir Energy” Company (PEC), a subsidiary of the Aga Khan Foundation for Economic Development (ACFED) and the International Finance Corporation (IFC), “Pamir Energy” is an integrated energy company, working in the GBAO region in Eastern Tajikistan. The creation of “Pamir Energy” marked the formation of the first PPP in Central Asia, when the Government of Tajikistan in 2002 transferred the operation and management of energy assets in the region to “Pamir Energy”, but retained ownership. Pamir Energy's goal is to bring light and heat to GBAO by providing clean, reliable and affordable electricity to every household and creating a sustainable, reliable energy network that will be handed over to the Government of Tajikistan at the end of the 25-year partnership. Since 2002, “Pamir Energy” has invested more than 240 million US dollars in the repair of energy infrastructure, expansion of hydroelectric power plants and the creation of an accounting system in the region. After its rehabilitation, about 98% of 227,000 GBAO's residents have access to electricity, and by 2025 it is planned to provide the remaining 2%.