DUSHANBE, January 23, Asia-Plus  -- Electrical malfunction caused a fire that broke out in head building of Tajik State Medical University in Dushanbe on December 26, 2007, Minister of Interiors Mahmadnazar Solehov announced at a news conference in Dushanbe on January 23.  

According to him, inspection of Medical University for violations of the fire code and compliance with fire safety requirements carried out by the firefighting service in last November already recorded shortcomings and the University administration was charged to remove them.  

In all, compared to 2006 the number fires rose by 5.8 percent last year, reaching 1,213, the minister said.  A damage caused by last year’s fires to the country’s economy amounted to 2.5 million somonis.  

We will recall a December 26 fire destroyed a total space of more than 9,000 square meters in the head building of Tajik Medical State University.  The fire that broke out at around 1:30 p.m. lasted till late into the night. 

The fire probably brought out on the third floor and then spread rapidly through the building.  All three floors of the building were completely enveloped in flames and the building that was constructed in 1939 practically burned down.  No injured was reported