DUSHANBE, December 2, 2014, Asia-Plus -- Dushanbe Mayor Mahmadsaid Ubaidulloyev yesterday held a meeting to discuss problems of socioeconomic development of the Tajik capital and preparations for winter.
Shavkat Saidov, a spokesman for the Dushanbe mayor’s office, says heads of the Dushanbe legislature (Majlis) commissions, heads of municipal agencies and representatives of civil society attended the meeting.
According to him, a special attention was given to the issues related to measures to ensure the regular work of the city’s economy during winter period and provide the population, economic social and cultural facilities with electricity and to fill Dushanbe’s markets with basic food products.
“Heads of Dushanbe’s bazaars irrespective of forms of property are ordered to make food stocks until December and the Dushanbe prosecutor’s office is ordered to take this issue under its control,” Saidov said.
The mayor also raised the issue of preparing the city for New Year’s and ordered to provide assistance to vulnerable families ahead of the New Year holiday.
Tajikistan inherited the Soviet Union''s New Year''s traditions, and celebrations have continued despite some criticism by religious figures.
According to some sources, the head of the state-backed Islamic Council of Ulema, Saidmukarram Abdulqodirzoda, last year urged Tajiks not to celebrate New Year''s, while the official newspaper of the Islamic Revival Party advised authorities not to erect the traditional fir tree in the capital.
And even the first deputy head of the Committee for TV and Radio-broadcasting under the Government of Tajikistan, Saidali Siddiqov, noted last December that Father Frost and Snow Maiden, the iconic symbols of New Year''s in Tajikistan and other former Soviet countries, have been barred from appearing on state television. “Father Frost, his maiden sidekick Snegurochka (Maiden Snow), and New Year’s tree will not appear on the state television this year, because these personages and attributes bear no direct relation to our national traditions, though there is no harm in them” Siddiqov told Asia-Plus in an interview on December 11, 2013. According to him, there was no any order on that point from above. “The national TV channels have made such a decision themselves and the Committee for TV and Radio-broadcasting has just approved it,” Tajik official said. He further added that all Tajik television channels would broadcast New Year’s programs.
Dushanbe Mayor Mahmadsaid Ubaidulloyev, however, responded by singing a decree on December 9, 2013 on organizing festive activities in the city to celebrate New Year’s Eve and a 22-meter New Year’s tree was installed in Dousti Square on December 28.
The New Year’s holiday, which is entirely secular holiday, remains one of the most popular holidays throughout the former Soviet Union, celebrated with family meals and fireworks.




Controversial street race involving Russian blogger sparks legal questions and public criticism
New industrial zone inaugurated in Dushanbe with launch of three factories
Man arrested in Dushanbe for real estate fraud exceeding 1 million somonis
Central Asia “buying” Trump’s attention: region finds a new approach to U.S. administration
Kazakhstan to limit beef exports until end of 2025 — what it means for Tajikistan
Tajik police arrest suspect in brutal attack on woman in Kazan, set to extradite to Russia
Russia faces chronic labor shortage, says Eurasian Development Bank
Over 5,000 Tajik citizens banned from leaving country due to debt
Global bread price ranking: where does Tajikistan stand?
Kyrgyzstan increases penalties for domestic violence under new law
All news