DUSHANBE, December 31, 2014, Asia-Plus -- YouTube and a popular Russian social network, Odnoklassniki, were inaccessible through many Internet service providers in Tajikistan on December 30.
Radio Liberty’s Tajik Service reports that Internet users across the country said they had been unable to open the websites since the early morning. Some people say they could access them through proxies.
An official from a major ISP, who did not want to be named, said the state Communication Services agency had verbally instructed ISPs to “temporarily” block the two websites for “preventative reasons.”
The agency, however, denied the claim.
YouTube and Odnoklassniki, as well as Facebook and Gmail, have been blocked in Tajikistan several times this year.
SMS services and hundreds of websites were largely inaccessible for several days after the opposition movement Group 24 used social media to call for an antigovernment protest in the capital, Dushanbe, on October 10.




Controversial street race involving Russian blogger sparks legal questions and public criticism
New industrial zone inaugurated in Dushanbe with launch of three factories
Man arrested in Dushanbe for real estate fraud exceeding 1 million somonis
Central Asia “buying” Trump’s attention: region finds a new approach to U.S. administration
Kazakhstan to limit beef exports until end of 2025 — what it means for Tajikistan
Tajik police arrest suspect in brutal attack on woman in Kazan, set to extradite to Russia
Russia faces chronic labor shortage, says Eurasian Development Bank
Over 5,000 Tajik citizens banned from leaving country due to debt
Global bread price ranking: where does Tajikistan stand?
Kyrgyzstan increases penalties for domestic violence under new law
All news