QURGHON TEPPA, June 13, Asia-Plus  -- A locust-combating campaign ahs successfully ended in the southern Khatlon province, Mukhtor Hasanov, an official with the Khatlon agriculture directorate, said in an interview with Asia-Plus.

According to him, a serious locust infestation has spread to over 58,000 hectares this year.  “All these areas have been treated with 14 tons of toxic chemicals and insecticides,” Hasanov said, noting that the locust-combating campaign involved more than 3,500 local residents and  600 servicemen.

He further added that no serious damage had been caused to the province by the locust infestation.   

We will recall that specialists have attributed this year’s infestation to a disruption of the insects'' usual seasonal migration pattern by the unusually early onset of hot weather.