KONIBODOM, July 7, 2008, Asia-Plus  -- Over the first six months of this year, 492 unemployed, with 46 percent (226) of them being women and 45 percent (221) being youth, have been officially registered in the northern district of Konibodom, bringing a total number of the officially registered unemployed here to 867, according to the Konibodom agency for employment and migration.   

According to the agency head Anvar Mahkamov, the number of job vacancies has increased by 271 over the report period, reaching 581.  “However, only 283 persons, including 128 women, have been placed in jobs over the same six-month period, which is 50 persons fewer than in the same period of last year,” Mahkamov said, noting that the main reason for such situation is too small wages. 

Therefore, many Konibodom residents are leaving for other CIS states, mainly Russia, seeking better employment opportunities. 

Over the first five months of this year, more than 4,000 residents of Konibodom have left the country in search of seasonal work, bringing a total number of labor migrants from the district to 25,375 people, with more than 6,000 of them being women, the agency head said.