KHUJAND, November 11, 2009, Asia-Plus  -- A seven-month-old baby boy has died after a house fire in the city of Istaravshan, Sughd province.

The family managed to escape from the house in Guliston Street, but the child died; he was poisoned by carbon monoxide.

According to the Sughd firefighting service, the blaze broke out in the house at about 12:00 on Tuesday (November 10).  The fire destroyed the space of 38 square meters and damage caused by it is estimated at 4,000 somoni.

“The investigation has established that the fire was caused by violation of rules of use of electrical appliances,” the source said.

13 fires have been registered in northern Tajikistan this month alone.  Since the beginning of the year, three children and six adults have been killed in fires in the province.