New Zealand''s prime minister said Monday that he wants an exit strategy before sending the country''s elite Special Air Service combat troops back to Afghanistan as the U.S. has requested.
Prime Minister John Key said that sending the commandos for a fourth tour of duty in Afghanistan "would be a very hard decision, not something we would take lightly."
New Zealand Foreign Minister Murray McCully said the U.S. formally requested that New Zealand send its Special Air Service troops back into Afghanistan following a meeting he had with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton in Washington earlier this month.
Key said Monday he had not seen details of the U.S. proposal, but said, "If we were to do something, it would be part of a long-term exit strategy."
McCully said New Zealand would consider resource and capacity issues before making a decision on the U.S. request. The deployment also depends on other conflicts in the South Pacific.
The New Zealand commandos have already done three tours in southern Afghanistan since the 2001 U.S.-led invasion to topple the Taliban''s hard-line Islamist regime for sheltering al-Qaida terrorist leaders.
New Zealand also has 140 troops serving in a provincial reconstruction team in the Afghan province of Bamiyan, northeast of the capital, Kabul. The team has been there since 2003 and is to remain until at least September 2010.



Over 700 artistes in Tajikistan owe more than 660,000 somoni in taxes
How a resident of Khujand became energy-independent
Kazakhstan joins countries sending troops to Gaza: key agreements from the first Peace Council meeting
Murder of gas station cashier in Khatlon province: over 20 stab wounds
Tajik military recruitment official arrested for corruption and bribery
Tajikistan honors athletes with presidential awards for international achievements
Tajikistan's Security Council holds key meeting on national security
Tajikistan shuts down nearly 90 industrial enterprises in 2025
US dollar reportedly maintains dominance in Central Asia amid Chinese yuan hype
US-based company to invest $150 million in Uzbekistan’s gas station network
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста