The number of US troops sent to southern Afghanistan to launch a major offensive is sufficient to seize and hold areas currently under Taliban control, the top US military officer said Sunday.
"We have enough forces there now not just to clear an area but to hold it. So we can build after. That''s really the strategy," Admiral Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told CBS''s "Face the Nation."
Some 4,000 Marines launched a wide-ranging operation Thursday in Helmand province, a Taliban stronghold, in what Mullen termed "the first significant one" since President Barack Obama dispatched an additional 21,000 US troops to Afghanistan to battle a mounting Taliban insurgency allied with Al-Qaeda.
Previously, the only military forces on the ground in the area were British troops who frequently exchanged fire with Taliban militants but lacked the necessary presence to take on the insurgency.
Washington is deploying the additional forces in a bid to facilitate the development work and improved governance required to undercut local support for the Taliban.



Over 700 artistes in Tajikistan owe more than 660,000 somoni in taxes
How a resident of Khujand became energy-independent
Kazakhstan joins countries sending troops to Gaza: key agreements from the first Peace Council meeting
Murder of gas station cashier in Khatlon province: over 20 stab wounds
Tajik military recruitment official arrested for corruption and bribery
Tajikistan honors athletes with presidential awards for international achievements
Tajikistan's Security Council holds key meeting on national security
Tajikistan shuts down nearly 90 industrial enterprises in 2025
US dollar reportedly maintains dominance in Central Asia amid Chinese yuan hype
US-based company to invest $150 million in Uzbekistan’s gas station network
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста