Three US soldiers were killed in attacks in southern Afghanistan, the military said Thursday, with security forces on alert for Taliban attacks during voting in presidential and provincial elections.
The new deaths, all on Wednesday, added to a mounting death toll for international troops in Afghanistan that has reached 50 so far this month, according to a toll maintained by the independent icasualties.org group.
Two were killed in a small arms attack on a patrol in the south, the International Security Assistance Force said in a statement. The third was killed in a separate hostile attack, it said.
The US military confirmed all were US nationals. It did not say in which provinces the troops lost their lives.
There are about 62,000 US forces in Afghanistan, making up the bulk of an international deployment from 42 countries.
The international troops were on alert for Thursday''s election but were operating behind the scenes, leaving Afghan forces to man the polling stations.



Over 700 artistes in Tajikistan owe more than 660,000 somoni in taxes
How a resident of Khujand became energy-independent
Kazakhstan joins countries sending troops to Gaza: key agreements from the first Peace Council meeting
Murder of gas station cashier in Khatlon province: over 20 stab wounds
Tajik military recruitment official arrested for corruption and bribery
Tajikistan honors athletes with presidential awards for international achievements
Tajikistan's Security Council holds key meeting on national security
Tajikistan shuts down nearly 90 industrial enterprises in 2025
US dollar reportedly maintains dominance in Central Asia amid Chinese yuan hype
US-based company to invest $150 million in Uzbekistan’s gas station network
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста