DUSHANBE, January 28, 2013, Asia-Plus -- Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi has declared a state of emergency in the cities of Port Said, Suez and Ismalia after days of deadly unrest, the BBC reported on January 28.
A daily curfew from 21:00 to 06:00 will be imposed for 30 days from Monday, he said in a speech to the nation.
At least 33 people died over the weekend in Port Said, where a court judgment sparked rioting.
Unhappiness with Mr. Morsi''s rule fuelled unrest elsewhere.
In the capital Cairo, anti-government protesters clashed with security forces near Tahrir Square for a fourth consecutive day.
The liberal opposition accuses Mr. Morsi of being autocratic and driving through a new constitution that does not protect adequately freedom of expression or religion.
The government is also being blamed for a deepening economic crisis.
Mr. Morsi said he might take further steps "for the sake of Egypt" as it was his "duty" as president. He also invited political leaders to a "national dialogue" on Monday.
Egypt''s main opposition coalition, the National Salvation Front, welcomed the invitation but blamed the unrest on Mr. Morsi''s own policies.
The state of emergency applies to the three cities along the Suez Canal, and their surrounding regions.
“I have said I am against any emergency measures but I have said that if I must stop bloodshed and protect the people, then I will act,” the president said.
“If I must, I will do much more for the sake of Egypt. This is my duty and I will not hesitate.”
Welcoming the invitation to dialogue, National Salvation Front spokesman Khaled Dawoud told Reuters news agency: “His call to implement emergency law was a right move given what is going on, namely thuggery and criminal actions.”
However, he said, Mr. Morsi was “missing the real problem on the ground, which is his own polices.”
Protests erupted in Port Said after a court sentenced 21 local people over deadly football violence nearly a year ago.
Correspondents say the city remains in a state of rage after the 21 defendants were sentenced to death over riots which killed 74 people after a football game last February.
February''s violence began when fans of Port Said side al-Masry attacked visiting supporters from Cairo club al-Ahly.
Fans flooded onto the pitch, attacking Ahly players and fans as the match ended.
Most of the victims died of concussion, cuts and suffocation.
About 30 people were killed in unrest in the city on Saturday with a further three dying at a mass funeral on Sunday.




First pilot container train successfully departs from China to Tajikistan
How a Tajikistani native made his way to one of the world’s most influential tech companies
Two traders arrested on the first day of Ramadan for overcharging on meat in Dushanbe
27 young men sentenced in Tajikistan last year for avoiding military service
Uzbekistan launches jury trial system as an experiment
Job market in Tajikistan: Somon.tj identifies most in-demand professions and market trends
Russian lawmaker proposes migrants should receive benefits only after 20 years of residence in Russia
Tajikistan in 2025: economic growth, inflation, and foreign trade
Police in Dushanbe urges entrepreneurs to avoid unjustified price increases during Ramadan
"No criminal cases have been initiated": Tajikistan has not punished citizens for participation in the war in Ukraine
All news
Авторизуйтесь, пожалуйста