DUSHANBE, January 12, 2016, Asia-Plus – Afghan news agency Pajhwok Afghan News reported yesterday that residents and local officials said on Monday that three newly formed districts of northeastern Kunduz province are still under Taliban’s control, asking the government to ensure their security.
Two months ago, President Ashraf Ghani traveled to Kunduz province and approved the creation of three new districts -- Aqtash, Kalbad and Gur Tepa. He also promised to send the required personnel to the districts.
Aqtash was previously part of Khanabad and Galbad of Imam Sahib district. Gur Tepa is located on the outskirts of Kunduz City. Residents and public representatives said the three districts were still being controlled by militants.
According to Pajhwok Afghan News , provincial council member Maulavi Khosh Mohammad Nasratyar alleged the districts were infested with militants and the government had failed to ensure security there or provide proper facilities for public servants.
“The government has no plan for Kunduz, whose residents lost most of their belongings during the fall of the provincial capital. Our people have no confidence in the government,” he told Pajhwok Afghan News .
Kunduz City collapsed after a few hours of clashes on September 28. The Taliban remained in control of the strategic provincial capital for three days before the government forces wrested it back after a two- week operation.
Abdul Maroof, a resident of Khanabad district, said Aqtash area -- inhabited by thousands of families -- had been under Taliban’s control for the past six months. The government could not recapture it, he claimed.
The insurgents are said to have shifted some of the weapons and equipment they seized in Kunduz City to Aqtash where they have also planted roadside bombs. “Security forces should launch a ground and air operation to oust the militants.”
Acting Governor Hamdullah Danishi, however, assured the three districts would be cleared of militants during an operation to be launched soon. He said the district personnel would be posted after the offensive, he concluded.




Iran’s TPO head visits Tajikistan to strengthen industrial and commercial ties
Tajikistan and Iran decide to expand trade and economic cooperation
Taliban’s new criminal procedure code sparks criticism over discrimination and class division
Tajik athletes win two bronze medals at tournament in Kazakhstan
Tajikistan uses microwave ablation to remove liver tumors for the first time
Tajikistan: Starlink equipment registration now available on official website
How Kyrgyzstan’s No. 2 figure nearly became No. 1
Soldier dies during shooting exercises in Kazakhstan: prosecutor-general takes control of the case
A first of its kind: sales start at the exclusive Rome Residence Complex in Dushanbe
New digital advertising platform Alon.tj launched in Tajikistan
All news